I don’t know what the weather is like where you’re living, but it’s always hot in Hong Kong. Hot and HUMID! It doesn’t even matter if there is a thunderstorm outside– it will be over 80 degrees Fahrenheit. This type of weather makes me crave something cool and refreshing like watermelon. I can’t think of anything else I’d rather eat on a hot summer day.
I wanted to dress up my watermelon so I decided to make an easy salad with watermelon, mint and feta cheese. Since watermelons are huge and I’m only feeding myself, I’ve already made this salad multiple times. The first time, I used cut-up feta and the second time, I crumbled the feta. I definitely prefer the crumbled feta cheese. I hope you can enjoy this salad during the last few days of summer!
Watermelon and Feta Summer Salad
Makes approximately 2 servings
- 2 cups of seedless cut-up watermelon (preferably chilled)
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup of crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil
- Cucumber (optional)
- Dash of Tabasco sauce (optional)
- Lay watermelon on a dish or bowl
- Mix lime juice, olive oil and Tabasco sauce
- Pour mixture over the watermelon and mix well
- Top watermelon with fresh mint and crumbled feta cheese
Cut-up feta cheese was too overwhelming because it was really salty. I highly recommend you crumble the cheese instead. I like the combination of spicy and sweet so I added a dash of Tabasco sauce to my watermelon salad.
If you’re serving this dish to company, you can use a vegetable peeler to peel thin slices of cucumber. Roll the cucumber slices up to look like mini roses. If you want a more savory take on the salad, you could add chopped cucumbers and diced red onions to the mix. Basil instead of mint would also work well.