I already wrote about how obsessed I am with the food at MANA!. After scouring their website, I stumbled upon a recipe for their vegan mushroom soup. I had high expectations, but this soup really blew me away. I was shocked how much flavor could come out of vegetables, especially because I didn’t even use vegetable broth for the base– just plain water.
I changed up the recipe because I can’t deal with the metric system so I made up my own measurements. The original recipe calls for shitake mushrooms, but I used portobollo mushrooms because I wanted a “meatier” texture. The recipe is really simple and just requires some mincing/chopping and 30-45 minutes to cook.
Vegan Mushroom & Cauliflower Soup
Makes about 2-3 bowls of soup
- 2 portobello mushrooms
- 1 cup of chopped cauliflower
- ¼ leek
- ½ white onion
- 4 gloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Approx. 4 cups of water
- Mince onion, leek, garlic finely
- Chop 1/2 of the mushrooms and cauliflower finely and chop the other 1/2 into chunks
- Heat frying pan to medium-high heat and add olive oil
- Stir-fry onion, leek and garlic till fragrant (approx. 2-3 minutes)
- Add mushrooms and cauliflower and stir-fry for 1 minute
- Add soy sauce and continue to stir-fry for another 30 seconds to 1 minute
- Transfer mixture to pot (do not drain the juices)
- Add enough water to cover the vegetables
- Bring soup to a boil
- Turn heat down and let covered soup simmer till mushrooms and cauliflower are softened (approx 30-45 min.)
- Add black pepper and salt to taste
The first time I made this soup, I actually boiled it down too far and there wasn’t enough liquid. I made sure to add extra water the second time to have more soup. Truthfully, I got really lazy chopping and roughly chopped all my mushrooms and cauliflowers. I like having more texture. I would still mince the onion, leek and garlic. The only thing that might make this soup better would be stir-frying everything in butter instead of olive oil. Of course, that change wouldn’t make the soup vegan-friendly!
Recipe source: MANA! website
Side note: MANA! also has a recipe for raw coconut cake that looks absolutely amazing, but I can’t make it because I don’t have a blender.